Friday, February 09, 2007

Speaking of Lack

Starting the morning off with my new checklist designed to help me speed up by slowing down - laying out exactly what I need to do and giving myself time limits - a place to stop - so that there is an automatic boundary and place to be "enough", I found myself pondering once again the subject of lack.

Why?

Because I was repeating it to myself as I went along after an especially trying evening with my youngest daughter - "it will never BE enough".

It struck me right away that I was in a place of lack again, not lack in the manner of time, but in manner of me. The knowing that I doing my best, and that it is good enough and then some, but acknowledging the nagging fear that I am not providing "enough" - even though consciously I know that I am.

This is a treadmill that can make you downright miserable and is almost unbeatable unless you take it by the horns as soon as you finding yourself "going there". The best thing that can happen to you is that you become aware that this is what is nagging you. Then you can beat it.

Since it is mostly psychological, it will usually be proceeded by triggers. It will creep upon you when you are tired, when you are over scheduled and especially when people complain at you or treat you in a disrespectful manner - even if they are not justified in their claims.

What to do?

Remember this quote.

"I am what I am, Dat's all what I am".

It's from Popeye, the original self development guru!

Don't let this insidious sense of lack interfere with your productivity and happiness.

And don't forget to examine your boundaries.

This is huge. Are you allowing people in your life to treat you in such a way that you feel "less than"? If so, your productivity, your creativity, and your joy is going to fly out the window. And it will show in your environment - your house and the feeling of peace that you are trying to achieve.

ACTION TIP

When you find yourself wondering if "you" are enough, in what ever area of life it may be, remember Popeye.

And set your boundaries. The best way to do this is gently. A soft resolve. Draw the line and don't allow it to be crossed without consequences. Make it clear and stand firm.

No comments: